Thursday, February 05, 2009

So... I had an inkling that something was afoot!

Yesterday, on my lunch break, I got my first tattoo.

I've spent many years wanting one, but never had enough meaning behind the want to justify sticking it on myself. I didn't want to resent it in later life.

About a month ago, I had the "back at work blues", and spent some time thinking about what was wrong, why I was feeling a bit average... perhaps even a bit below. I had some "emergency" time off work to figure out what's important - why I felt down.

After a lot of pondering, I decided I needed a balance.. a positive balance within myself. My engineering side (Dad) and artist side (Mum) decided to be friends - and together they came up with a design incorporating balance (yinyang), and positivity (a plus).
A friend has told me it looks like a cross and a tear drop which gave me a bit of a giggle. I can see it too :) but it's not my meaning. I find it curious and fascinating how different people interpret different things differently. I guess it depends on how their balance is fairing.

Anyway, It's a reminder for myself - for me to look at. It's on the inside of my left wrist, and so far, the longer it's on me the more I like it. It makes me feel elated - more so than I had imagined. Perhaps this is because I know it's right?

Who knows - it's awesome!

4 Comments:

At 7:26 pm, Blogger ilkfin said...

I really like the use of positive and negative space, which allows one to unconciously complete the image as desired. Very nice outcome after our confab and drawing development at 24.

Ilkfin

 
At 8:24 pm, Blogger ilkfin said...

it looks like someone sitting on the moon

sheila

 
At 11:32 am, Blogger pa said...

Dear Ned,
A very interesting tattoo. ? How big is it. You are certainly now a marked man. Nana and I are well as we hope that you are.

Lovc from Nana and Pa

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger Ned Collyer said...

its about 2 high, and 1.5 inches wide.

:) I am a marked man!

Good to hear you are both well. Batten down the hatches today - its going to swelter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home